Purchasing a cream, serum, shampoo, or any other beauty care product, most of us turn over the packaging to see their composition. As a rule, the components of the same type of drug have the same components, but in reality it is more difficult to decipher the list of substances in the composition than it seems at first glance.
Swjournal decided to figure out what should be and why there is no place in your beauty routine, what is important, and what is better to refuse ♥
Where to apply the product
Before studying the jars of cream, you should understand where to apply this beauty product. This is important because of the coverage area: even effective natural ingredients to eliminate wrinkles will not give the expected effect if they are part of mascara, and it is recommended to ignore any lotions with the addition of silicones.
Funds for the skin around the eyes and lips are applied locally in a small amount. So, you should not think about the number of natural components and their gumminess. But do not forget that the goal of such beauty products is to save you from dry skin, pigmentation or first wrinkles.
Body products in bulk packages, in contrast, are required to be as safe and natural as possible. They are applied to most of the body and remain on the skin for a whole day.
Do not trust marketing slogans
Learn to ignore advertisements and striking statements by cosmetics manufacturers.
– Wow effect. Mass enthusiasm for the presented beauty product does not yet indicate that it will certainly suit your skin.
– Naturalness and organics. These indicators are not controlled by law and pharmaceutical standards, plus, they are often addressed only to a certain substance in a beauty product. And not all natural ingredients benefit the skin.
– SPF level. It is difficult to calculate the guaranteed UV protection. In particular, it can be enhanced by adding an anti-inflammatory ingredient to the cream. But this does not mean that thereby protecting from the sun will approach the maximum mark.
– Freedom from … A popular marketing move is to put together a list of bad components that are usually found in cheap cosmetics, but which are not included in the selected product. An indication of the absence of “parabens or sulfates” does not mean that there will be no other substances in the shampoo.
– Active ingredients. The manufacturer must disclose the complete list of components in small print. Moreover, especially attractive ones are placed in the right place and highlighted in bold.
– Beauticians recommend clinical trials confirm. There are no strict canons indicating the degree of safety or effectiveness of the product. And a simple moisturizer with glycerin will really smooth out wrinkles during laboratory tests due to the high content of water or the general high humidity in the room.
– Dignity or norm? Companies point to the pros, which are actually a common story for this type of product. In particular, a shampoo without silicone or a sulfate-free conditioner is practically a tautology, since the former do not have silicone in the composition, and the latter do not have sulfates, since they should not foam.
The components of beauty products should be considered in descending order: from high concentration to minimal. And it is recommended to look at the very first ones, since most of the beauty products consist of them, and, therefore, they should have active ingredients and no place for dangerous and neutral components.
– Synthetic perfumes, even if they are at the end of the list, are the main cause of allergies. Along with this, one should be careful with products labeled “odorless,” since they will contain disguised perfume replacement chemicals.
– Sulphates. Cheap foaming agents are in all soapy and foaming products. In addition to creating a lot of foam, they break down the protective barrier on the skin and cause dandruff when it comes to shampoo. As a result, dry skin and often irritation await you.
– Silicones. The velvety smooth structure obtained with such components is pleasant to many. But such products create a film on the skin and hair, which interferes with the penetration of other important components into the structure of the hair or epidermis, and as a result, the hair dries and the skin becomes dehydrated, pores are clogged and comedogens appear.
– Mineral oils. This name sounds beautiful, but in reality it is only kerosene in the form of fragrance. According to the degree of danger and the principle of operation, it is comparable with the previous components.
– Polyunsaturated oils. These substances have an unstable nature and rapid oxidation in a warm environment and in contact with oxygen. Regular application to the skin ages it and literally withers it.
– Phenoxyethanol. The substance is an analogue of parabens. He does not have such a significant level of danger, but sometimes it causes irritation.
– Low molecular weight hyaluronic acid. A popular and effective hyaluronic acid, if it is not presented in a high molecular weight version, can lead to inflammation and even scarring.
When searching for the best beauty product, prioritize what exactly is necessary for skin care at your age, in the region of residence, ambient humidity and season. Remember about allergic reactions and the individual characteristics of the body. Often, similar beauty products with a controversial product are found in competing manufacturers.
Photo: creativemarket / shutterstock